According to a recent YouGov Poll one of the top New Year’s Resolutions for 2018 is Self Care or wellbeing (i.e get more sleep). People are aware now more than ever about taking care of their health and wellness, so what can we do to make sure we are making time for ourselves?
Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life.
Get more sleep
According to a study, 38 per cent of UK adults – some 20 million of us – are not getting enough sleep. This is having an effect on our health. Some of the most serious problems associated with sleep deprivation include, high blood pressure, heart attacks and Diabetes. Also, research links lack of sleep to an increase of the stress hormone Cortisol in the body.
A good night’s sleep will help improve our mood, help with weight-loss and improve our health but how can we make sure we get enough sleep?
- Follow a regular sleep pattern
- Try and go to bed at a reasonable hour
- Make sure your bed and mattress is comfortable
- Keep your bedroom at a comfortable temperature
- Put away laptops, Smartphones and tablets at least an hour before you go to bed
- Take a relaxing bath
If you are feeling anxious or depressed, get some help
This time of year can bring many unhappy emotions – stressed, depressed and anxious. The cold weather, long nights and the financial stress after Christmas can all contribute to this, so what can you do when you are feeling low?
Exercise for wellness
You all would have read somewhere that exercise releases the ‘happy hormone’ and what this means is that special chemicals Dopamine, Oxytocin, Serotonin, and Endorphins are released when you exercise – these all have a positive effect on our body and so gives us that happy/uplifting feeling.
If you feel that you are not ready for strenuous exercise just yet, try something gentle such as Yoga and as it happens a new Yoga studio has opened above the clinic that offer many different wellness classes such as Yin Yoga, Pilates and Hatha Yoga.
Take some time out to relax
Easier said then done we know but finding time to relax is so important. Relaxation helps with our mental wellbeing, it can help if you are feeling stressed or worried.
Here are some tips for relaxation.
- Take a break, even if it’s for a few minutes take a break from a stressful situation such as working on your computer or a meeting. These few minutes walking about will help you to feel a lot calmer.
- Listen to some music, this can help to distract you from worrying thoughts and will help calm your mind.
- Take a break from technology, using social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter can have an negative effect on our mental health so give yourself an hour or so away from your laptop, phone or tablet.
- Book a massage, a gentle massage has been proven to help us to relax, de-stress and can also help with anxiety. Why not book an appointment with one of our massage therapists?
If you have good mental wellbeing you are able to: feel relatively confident in yourself and have positive self-esteem. Wellness is much more than physical health. Wellness is a full integration of physical, mental and spiritual well-being. It is a complex interaction that leads to quality of life.
If you would like to talk to us about mental and physical wellbeing, please do not hesitate to call our reception staff on 01602 660792, they will be able to offer you some help and guidance and book you in to see one of our therapists.